The Perfect Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Chicken lettuce wraps are the perfect combination of saltiness, sweetness, crispiness, and crunchiness. These delightful little lettuce cups are filled with a spicy and flavorful ground chicken and paired with thin, crispy rice noodles for an added crunch. This delicious dish makes for a healthy and satisfying meal, whether it’s for lunch, dinner, or as an appetizer.
This recipe can be made ahead of time and reheated, but it also tastes great served at room temperature or cold. If you prefer a vegetarian option, simply swap out the ground chicken for firm tofu or seitan, or add in a mixture of chopped carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
These chicken lettuce wraps make a great appetizer or a light lunch, but they can also be served as a main course for dinner. Pair them with sautéed green beans, stir-fried eggplant, or even fried rice for a more filling meal.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup thin, crispy rice noodles
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the ground chicken until browned and cooked through. Drain any excess grease.
- In the same skillet, add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and shiitake mushrooms. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, chili paste, and sesame oil.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the lettuce leaves and pat dry. Spoon a portion of the chicken mixture into each lettuce leaf.
- Sprinkle a handful of the crispy rice noodles over the chicken mixture in each lettuce wrap.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This recipe makes 8 servings. The chicken mixture can also be made ahead of time and reheated for a quick and easy meal. For a vegetarian option, replace the ground chicken with firm tofu or seitan. Serve with sautéed vegetables or fried rice for a complete meal.
Cook Time: Approximately 20 minutes.
Calories: Approximately 180 calories per serving.