Macaroni and Cheese Recipe: The Ultimate Comfort Food
Macaroni and Cheese is a classic and beloved dish that has been enjoyed for generations. It’s a creamy and comforting combination of tender elbow macaroni pasta and a rich and cheesy sauce. The dish originated in the United States, and it has since become a staple in households across the country and beyond.
There are many variations of this dish, ranging from traditional recipes made with cheddar cheese to more modern versions that incorporate exotic ingredients and spices. Despite these variations.
The essential elements of Macaroni and Cheese remain the same – tender pasta and a velvety, cheesy sauce that is the epitome of comfort food. Whether it’s served as a main course or as a side dish, Macaroni and Cheese never fails to please and is sure to become a staple in your household as well.
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 4 oz grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour to form a roux, cooking for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese until fully melted and combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Optional: sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and broil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
Read More – Warm and Cozy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Serving: This recipe yields about 6-8 servings.
Cook time: The total cook time is about 20-25 minutes.
Yes, you can experiment with different types of cheese to suit your taste preferences.
Yes, you can prepare the dish and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or on the stove until warm.